Tuesday, May 12, 2009

May 11, 2009: Have Heart Show Review


It's around 6:00 AM on Monday when Led called me up telling me that there's a problem with HH going to the Philippines and that they will not be able to make it. We're fcked, I said to myself. But as it turns out, the tour coordinator is just exaggerating the problem when the truth of the matter is that there's just a small problem with the airlines and HH is actually on their way.
I went to Led's house around 11:00 AM, ate and hanged for a while. And guess what? The rain just dropped like a bomb from the sky and it was so f'n hard. Good thing it stopped around 3:00 PM and after setting up, we were on our way to the venue.
The venue is a tent-like space in the Malate party area. When we got there, the crew is just about finished setting up. We soundchecked and when everything was ok, HLAF THE BATTLE kicked off the show with Easy whispering 'It's hard to start a show'. HTB did not disappoint as they got the grwing crowd going. They played two (2) new songs, if I remember it right. Watch out for the new release from these guys, should be f'n awesome.
Laguna's MIHARA came up next and played a good set. I heard these guys are looking for a new drummer. Contact them if you're interested. They ended their set with a Strife cover. Nice set.
PLAY from Bulacan was up next and they destroyed once again with old songs which came as a surprise sinc elately they have been playing all new material. You should definitely watch out for their upcoming full-length. By the way, they're going to Cebu in a couple of weeks. Good luck to you guys and show them what a T4 circle pit is about! Thrash hard!
After a short break, it's that time of the year again for THE BEAUTY OF DOUBT's reunion show! These guys were again amazing. Never loses a step even if they haven't played in months. Too bad they had a short set (Damn you...hehe). It was during their set that Z cut his eyelid bumping to Joseph IA which resulted in him missing HH's set. Too bad...
KAKTUS KARUKA cancelled that night so it was up to TAME THE TIKBALANG to take the stage and true to their legend, they did not disappoint. They played a tight set and ended with a cover from Bad Brains 'Sailin on'. Classic.
STAID was up next and they are clearly beginning to be one of the premier bands around. Awesome set. I think they played to new songs which were not yet on their demo. I was anxiously waiting fot the Cain cover but they did not play it. I hate these guys. Hehe.
BYSTORM went up next and we kicked it off with an intro from the Cro-Mags 'Malfunction' and then proceeded to our set. I think we did an OK set though I think some would disagree. Haha. We played a relatively short set because aside from the fatigue, it was Have Heart's turn.
The energy buidling up to HH's set that night was amazing. You can just feel the whole energy in the room being zapped up to that one instant when HH will start to play. And true enough, when they started playing, it was all out mayhem! The kids went nuts all over HH. The highlight for me was 'Pave Paradise'. I had goosebumps when they played it. The Outspoken cover ripped. Ronald requested 'Brotherly Love' and it was awesome. If anyone had a video of the 'speech' Pat Flynn made a bout that sone, shoot me a message, I would love that. Would send chills down your spine. Bar none: gig of the year (they even topped the SC/Motivation tour!).
Sorry for not uploading pics, simply because I don't have them. Hehe. I'm pretty sure they'll be jsut floating around.
We spent yesterday hanging out with them, just eating, drinking coffee, sharing stories. It was an awesome time and I hope we could see them soon again. Nicest bunch of guys. I got a cut in the nose, a cut in the forehead and busted lip and an almost broken ankle, but still, it was all WORTH it.
Currently listening: Have Heart 'everything'

No comments: